Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Can you trim your own dog's toe nails??

If so, how do you??Can you trim your own dog's toe nails??
I bought dog's nail clippers at the pet store %26amp; use them on both of my dogs. They are both good at being still, but one of them squirms a bit. So I have my boyfriend hold him in his arms while I clip the nails on the back paws.





My vet showed me where to safely cut, and recommended a brand of nail clippers.Can you trim your own dog's toe nails??
Get a really good (professional) trimmer that has a guard on it to prevent going to far. Softpaws.net had one and I bought it. It works so much better than the one I bought at Wal-Mart.
yes you can. I always do. You just buy a pair of dog clippers and you clip up to right before the cuticle. If your dog has black nails(like mine) it's a little trickier and you have to guess more. I just clip a little at a time until it seems to be enough. Some dogs( also like mine), you will have to get someone to hold the dog while you clip the nails.
yes! well you have to hold the dog's paw and get dog nail clippers and cut them off at the right angle-it's pretty easy. Ask your vet or go to a reliable website for more details.
Sure - I do it all the time. The best way for you to learn is from your Vet - They will show you the best way to hold the paw and the correct angle / amount to cut.
Of course you can! How big is your dog? For my small dogs I place them on their backs between my legs and use the nail clippers (you can get them at the pet store) to trim their nails. Keep in mind that if you trim them too much they will bleed for a LONG time. It's a vain in their nails called the quick. You need to learn where that is...it's easy to see on dogs w/ light colored nails but it takes some experience if their nails are black...anyways, for my large dog I just have him lay down while I do it. If you are unsure about doing this yourself have your vet or groomer show you how to do it and where to find the quick so you will feel better about doing it yourself. Good luck!!
Yes but it's tricky. You can get the clippers at any pet store. And you can only cut so much of the nail at one time -- ask your vet to show you. Otherwise they bleed like crazy. Ours won't even let us do it (I guess Beagles have a weird thing with their feet), so we just let the vet take care of it.
yes I just bought nail clippers, Kwik stop and do it. although I willsay my vet showed me when I was younger, I have worked in several vets offices, owned my own petshop and went to professional dog grooming school


but for someone who doesn't know what to do just take in to vets and have thenm show you how it's done.
u can buy a dog nail clipper. but i dont trust myself with that. my vet is a lot better at it.
I will between groomings but I prefer to let the groomer do it because her nails are black.
Best thing for you is to have someone show you and then to buy the clippers that have the safety on it so you really can't cut too far...


It gets easy after a few times... the hardest is usually keeping your dog to hold still!
I use a nail clipper made for dogs ...it is more difficult if your dog has black nails because you have to guess how far to trim. Your best bet is to trim a little at a time until they look to be a desired length. If the dog bleeds it will not be a happy puppy as cutting into the cuticle is much like an ingrown nail on people. I would bring the dog to a groomer or the vet so they can show you how to properly trim a dogs nail. Also get a good pair of clippers, the better they are the easier they will be to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment