Saturday, January 23, 2010

Am I supposed to take my budgies to get their toe nails clipped? I got them a bird approved toy and one of ..?

one of them got her toenail tangled in it and paniced. Thank God I was home to untangle it right away. So I have to wonder if I should be getting their nails trimmed. (I have four)Am I supposed to take my budgies to get their toe nails clipped? I got them a bird approved toy and one of ..?
They make a sandpaper covering for perches that does a nice job of filing down unruly toenails on budgies and parrots. It's slit up the side like a cinnamon stick and slides over the existing perch.


You should be able to buy these in packs of three or four at the same store where you got the toy.Am I supposed to take my budgies to get their toe nails clipped? I got them a bird approved toy and one of ..?
id use sandpaper ir there this stuff that looks like that's made for birds u can put on there stand
If you go to a pet shop you can buy a kind of sandpaper tube that fits around the budgies perch.By moving and sitting on the covered perch the birds keep their own nails filed so you don't have to worry about them.It is best to cover only one perch (the one in the middle of the cage) since it can be uncomfortable for the bird if he/she uses it all the time.Hope this answers your question.
I recommend getting their toenails clipped if they get too long. Otherwise your birds can get caught again and again! Most vets will even show you how to clip the nails yourself, so you can do it in the future :)
The best way and the cheapest is to buy sandpaper (usually at Shoprite,Petsmart, %26amp; Animals and Things). Or even better are the sandpaper swings. Buy them at Petsmart and they last for years. And the birds do it by themselves and their nail are automatically trimmed.





It's happened to my budgies as well so many times, but after the sandpaper, it hasn't happened in a while. (It Lasts)
It is sometimes necessary to get their toenails trimmed, but I suspect the problem is the toy, not their nails. As with any toy for any creature (human or not), you must observe them with the toy to ensure it is safe for how your birds use the toy. It would seem perhaps this particular toy is not suitable for your particular budgies. I have a budgie who has deformed toes and her toenails get extremely long and I've never had a problem with her getting stuck on a toy, so I would really consider the toy to be the problem, not the nails.
u sure have to otherwise they may hurt themselves sometimes fatal
I have raised many species of parrot for years and have never had to clip toenails. I always had a variety of different sized branches (yes branches from a tree, willow is great). Cut you branches to an appropriate sise to fit the cage. Wash them in hot water, dry completly and give them to your birdies. Natural branches sever another purpose as well...they will chew on them, removing the bark and have a blast doing it.


By offering differnt size branches it causes the birds to excercise their foot muscles causing them to open and close their tallons therefore scraping their toenails on the rough branch (natural nailfile).


If you really think about it...where do birds come from, outside right? They live in trees with branches...right? They don't have toenail clippers out there do they? No...nature takes care of them just fine. Incorperate a little nature into your birds lives and all will be well.


You'll have to replace the branches every so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment